In 2008, the National Endowment for the Humanities awarded the Ohio History Connection $353,069 to begin digitization of Ohio’s microfilmed newspapers. The National Digital Newspaper Program in Ohio (NDNP-OH) is a part of the National Digital Newspaper Program, a partnership between the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), the Library of Congress (LC) and state projects to provide enhanced access to historic newspaper pages published between 1690 and 1963. NEH awards support state projects to select and digitize historically significant titles that are aggregated and permanently maintained by the Library of Congress at Chronicling America. Through this website, historic newspaper pages are both freely available and keyword searchable. NDNP-OH is building upon an earlier NEH initiative, the United States Newspaper Program, which enabled the Ohio History Connection to locate, catalog and microfilm Ohio’s newspapers. As a result, the Ohio History Connection holds the most complete Ohio newspaper microfilm collection in the state comprising some 48,000 rolls.
Over the course of the 2-year project, ending June 30, 2010, NDNP-OH contributed over 100,000 historic newspaper pages to Chronicling America. 14 titles published between 1880 and 1922 were selected from 10 regions around the state by an advisory group of 18 journalists, historians, educators, scholars, librarians and archivists. 10 of these members represented regional interests.
In 2010, NEH awarded an additional $334,000 to the Ohio History Connection to continue its digitization of Ohio’s microfilmed newspapers. NDNP-OH digitized 26 Ohio newspapers—more than 100,000 pages—between the years of 1845 and 1894, with an emphasis on the Civil War era.
NEH awarded the Ohio History Connection additional funding in 2012 to continue its newspaper digitization project into 2014. The $248,600 reward allowed another 100,000 pages of Ohio’s historical newspapers to be digitized for Chronicling America, including a short run of a German-language newspaper. This grant award was extended through the end of August 2015, and surplus funding was used to digitize an additional 15,000 pages of Ohio’s historical newspapers for Chronicling America. NDNP-OH staff also provided a number of presentations around the state on Chronicling America and newspaper digitization standards and best practices.
The Ohio History Connection received $200,000 of supplemental grant funding in 2016 to digitize 100,000 more Ohio newspaper pages for Chronicling America. This fourth cycle of funding will focus on digitizing foreign language and ethnic press titles representing some of Ohio’s most prominent immigrant communities from the 19th and early 20th centuries: Czech, Hungarian German, German, Polish, Romanian and Slovak.
About the Ohio History Connection
The Ohio History Connection, formerly the Ohio Historical Society, is a statewide history organization with the mission to spark discovery of Ohio’s stories. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization chartered in 1885, the Ohio History Connection carries out history services for Ohio and its citizens focused on preserving and sharing the state’s history. This includes housing the state historic preservation office, the official state archives, local history office and managing more than 50 sites and museums across Ohio.
These reports are submitted biannually to the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. Please note that reports may include links to items that are no longer active and attachments/addenda have not been included.
- Interim Performance Report for September 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018
- Interim Performance Report for March 1, 2017 to August 31, 2017
- Interim Performance Report for September 1, 2016 to February 28, 2017
- Final Performance Report for July 1, 2008 to August 31, 2015
- Interim Performance Report for September 1, 2014 to February 28, 2015
- Interim Performance Report for March 1, 2014 to August 31, 2014
- Interim Performance Report for September 1, 2013 to February 28, 2014
- Interim Performance Report for March 1, 2013 to August 31, 2013
- Interim Performance Report for September 1, 2012 to February 28, 2013
- Interim Performance Report for March 1, 2012 to August 31, 2012
- Interim Performance Report for September 1, 2011 to February 29, 2012
- Interim Performance Report for February 1, 2011 to August 31, 2011
- Interim Performance Report for July 1, 2010 to January 31, 2011
- Interim Performance Report for January 1, 2010 to June 30, 2010
- Interim Performance Report for July 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009
- Interim Performance Report for January 1, 2009 to June 30, 2009
- Interim Performance Report for July 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008
Non-NDNP Digital Newspaper Archive Survey
NDNP awardees are responsible for locating other freely available digital newspaper resources for their state and compiling information about these resources into on a Library of Congress-developed spreadsheet. For each title located, the publisher location, dates of publication, LCCNs, site owner/producer, URL, dates of digital edition and number of issues available and other information are provided.
- 2012 Non-NDNP Newspaper Archive Survey (click to download)
- 2010 Non-NDNP Newspaper Archive Survey (click to download)
- 2016-2018 Production Schedule
- 2012-2014 Production Schedule
- 2010-2012 Production Schedule
- 2008-2010 Production Schedule